Thursday 27 March 2014

A wonderful weekend

The day after our Peninsula Day Tour we didn't particularly feel like doing anything too active and so decided just to take a walk through the city and see where we would end up. I dragged two very unwilling participants to the National Gallery so that I would not have to be the only person to experience the craziness that was Chandelier. Thankfully they were just as nonplussed as I was. 

After the gallery we wandered through Company Gardens, Greenmarket Square, the downtown area and ended up finding ourselves back at the Waterfront. We passed through some lovely flats situated on the canals in the near vicinity too. 



We grabbed something to eat and then slowly made our way back to the hostel to spend the rest of the day in the sunshine. 

Saturday followed a similar pattern to the day before. Ladina finally arrived back in Cape Town (another face from Durban) and if was lovely to have a reunion and introduce her and Louise. We all went to the Old Biscuit Mill in Woodstock which holds the Neighbourgoods Market which came highly recommended by my friend Lauren who used to live in Cape Town and it was completely worth a visit. 



It is separated into a food market and a craft/clothing/general knick-knacks market. Being the foodies we are that was the first stop. All the food looked gorgeous, smelt divine and the bits that we tried were mouth-wateringly good. I also had a strawberry Moscow Mule which was lush. The selection was incredible with fresh fruit, veg and juices, food from all different countries and cultures, sweet treats and savoury delights. I even tried a bit of tuna biltong which was ok but I definitely prefer the meat ones. 

After trying not to eat everything in sight and waiting for the heaviest bit of rain to pass we made our way to the second part of the market. The clothes and jewellery on sale were fabulous, as were all the other small items. There was one shop, Karoo Moon which sold a mish mash of everything, from silk scarves to Art Deco travel posters. Again I had to exercise my self control so as not to buy anything. The buildings housing the shops and markets were beautiful too and when I wasn't trying to buy myself presents I was admiring these. 





After the markets we walked back to the hostel, past the 'castle' and through the city, which actually turned out to be quite a distance but it was a good walk. I rewarded myself by jumping in the freezing cold pool afterwards. Again our evening ended with us chilling in Ashanti's relaxed bar. 

On Sunday we were not very active, saving ourselves for the week of tourist activities we had planned ahead. We did say goodbye to Matt who had a 20 hour bus journey to Joburg. Rather him than me. Our weekend ended in the bar and with an early night for the exciting trip planned for the next day. 

Until next time. 

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment