Thursday 30 January 2014

To Lesotho with Khotso

I have had the most incredible two days riding into Lesotho with the guys and guests from Khotso Horse Trails. Steve who runs Khotso led the ride and we were joined by one of the volunteers and two Swiss girls. I was recommended to come here by a friend and I am so glad that I listened, left the Baz Bus route and spend a night in terrible accommodation in PMB to be here.

The ride to Lesotho was absolutely amazing through the indescribably beautiful Drakensberg mountains. We drove to the order with the horses in a trailer and proceeded to ride through a no-mans land to the Lesotho border which is an unmanned fence. The stamps at the first border signify departure and then entry back into South Africa rather than entry into Lesotho. 


We rode for about 7 hours, covering over 50km and climbing from 1,500m to 2,800m, most of which was on horseback. The horses are amazingly sturdy and had no problem with the rocky terrain and we only had to lead them up and down the steepest sections. It was so special to gallop across a mountain plateau with other mountains around you and nothing but wildlife. 


I absolutely adored the horse I was on, called Tofiklus (or something like that, I called him Toffee) as he was extremely steady and sure footed which was extremely comforting when you are on a steep mountain slope. 


We stayed the night in a comfy mountain lodge in an extremely small and remote village before riding back the next day. Unfortunately on the way back it rained for the whole ride meaning we couldn't ride the horses that fast as the ground was sodden and marshy in many sections. Climbing down the steep mountain side with rivulets of water making the stones excessively slippery did not make us feel overly safe but it was exciting and good fun. Luckily I am very used to riding in the rain being from England! 




After a fantastic two days in the saddle all of us were extremely sore and very bruised. We were sodden when we were collected at the border. I've never been so wet, cold and in need of a hot shower in my life, although when we got back it turned out the pipe for the hot water had burst! I had an evening infront of the fireplace instead trying to dry out myself and my shoes.  

In love with this horse. 

I left Khotso the next morning and had to wait around in PMB to get the bus to Durban but thankfully I didn't have to stay there for the night. 

Until next time.

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment