Thursday 27 February 2014

Bloukrans Bridge Bungee

Bloukrans Bridge is situated near Nature's Valley in the Western Cape and it is the site of the worlds highest commercial bridge bungee jump at 216m. The bridge spans an incredibly beautiful gorge which the Bloukrans river flows through not that I could appreciate the scenery too much before my jump. I had decided before I left England that I wanted to do the bungee. It is definitely up my street to be a little bit reckless and I love a good adrenaline rush. However, the closer I got to going to Storms River the more apprehensive I got. I'm not a huge fan of heights and the thoughts of what could go wrong were often running through my mind. I don't think I would have bottled it because I would regret it and be extremely annoyed with myself if I didn't do it but I definitely thought about it when I panicked myself. 


Luckily for me when I boarded the bus in Jeffreys Bay I bumped into Jakob who I had first met in Chinsta and then again in PE. We decided on a whim to do the bungee that afternoon and booked it before we could talk ourselves out of it. Plus it was a beautiful day and there was talk of rain the following day so we made the most of it. We arrived in Storm's River at 10 and the wait til that afternoon was almost excruciating. I don't think I have ever been so nervous in my life and that's including my final year exams, my degree results, my driving test etc. I'm talking sweaty palms, sweaty feet, nerves I didn't know existed. Everything else has nothing on this. My iPod didn't help the situation; when I was listening to it to try and relax it promptly played I'm Goin' Down by Bruce Springsteen followed by Falling by Haim. Not cool. 


Our jump was at 2 and we arrived at the site just before 1. This didn't help as we spent a lot of time watching other people's jumps and getting worked up about our own. As soon as one of us had calmed down the other one started panicking! In the end we had a beer in our harnesses to calm our nerves trying to ignore the guy telling us all about his jump as he was not helping. 


All too soon it was time to walk out to the jump site, situated on top of the supporting arch in the centre of the bridge. This for me was probably the worst bit. The walkway is a metal mesh so you can see the drop underneath your feet. As you move from panel to panel they give slightly with your added weight which was enough to make me question my sanity and whether this really was a good idea. No turning back though. 


When we got onto the bridge we watched the last few people from the group before us jump. At least everyone came back up smiling and saying it was amazing. That helped make me look forward to it. Additionally, when you get to the bridge there is a lot of loud party music to get you pumped up for it. We had a quick safety briefing and were advised on the best way to jump, especially for it to look good for the camera... Our main concerns at that moment obviously. 


I was first up in the group which was better than last. However, everyone was nervous or downright terrified which wasn't the best vibe. You sit by the jump point and have your legs strapped up. Firstly they put the padding around the lower half of your legs and then they put on the strap which binds your legs and is where they attach the bungee line. It is pretty tight and so you have to waddle/hop to the jump point. When they were clipping the bungee rope to me my nerves reached fever pitch, especially when I took glimpses off the bridge and into the gorge. The guys help you to the edge of the bridge and at that point there is no turning back (unless you grip onto the railings and don't let them take you to the edge as the first guy in the group after did) as you either jump or get pushed. 






5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... Bungee! 







I think my favourite bit of the jump was the point of no return. The part where the guides let go of you and your weight has passed the tipping point. All I could see was this humongous drop beneath me with the sparkling blue river flowing through the gorge and my mind completely cleared. All I could think about was how beautiful everything was.

I'm pleased to say I dove off the bridge without needing a helping shove. Years of swimming came in useful after all. In true Alicia style I wasn't quiet. I didn't scream exactly, it was some kind of crazy, hysterical laugh and cheer. The free fall was incredible. It was so liberating to throw all caution to the wind, jump off the bridge and have the wind rushing past you. Any problems or worries that you have instantly disappear and you just enjoy all the crazy sensations assaulting your senses. 

I was worried about a bungee jump being jerky but it is not at all. The only real sensation is that the connection gets tighter at your ankles but it pulls you back up incredibly smoothly. It was around here that I regained the use of my arms which after the initial dive had just been dangling above my head. 

Towards the end of the jump you are suspended in the valley, around about 180m down is where the rope extends to. It is extremely quiet at this point and all you can hear are the birds and the faint sound of the river. The adrenaline was surging round my body and the blood rushes to your head asking you feel insanely giddy. You are collected by a staff member who attaches you to some kind of safety line before removing the bungee connection and forcing you into an extremely uncomfortable sitting position. We had a quick conversation on the way up where he congratulated me and told me that all the ladies who "fly from the bridge" are know as Angels... Lolllllll. So cheesy, but I am a Bloukrans Angel. 





On the way back up, because of the pendulum jumping system, you are on the other side of the bridge and there is a beautiful view out to the coast which I enjoyed. Unfortunately there are no photos of this. When I got back up to the bridge I couldn't stop smiling. I was buzzing all day thanks to the huge adrenaline rush. I think it lasted til something like 10pm which is when I suddenly felt extremely tired and just wanted to pass out. 



Looking back on the bungee, I don't think I have ever felt more alive in one moment and yet it almost feels like it didn't exist or that I only dreamt about it. I want to do it again most definitely and I would have done if it didn't cost so much. Plus, next time I want to do it backwards. 


I only wish two things: firstly that it wasn't over so quickly and secondly that my Dad could have done it with me because he would have loved it. I definitely have his crazy gene. 

Until next time. 

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment